webmistress journal affiliates credits
THE WEBMISTRESS
I Support Privacy Protection

This is Michelle from NTU, who has a blur queen personality and a love for biology.
Currently studying at the School of Biological Sciences.
I have my birthday celebration on 16 June every year.
Loves singing, reading, baking and eating.
Basically your good old plain Jane! :))


recent entries
Crazy about projects
Happy meal
New Hairstyle
Movie Reviews
Back from camp
Why can't you understand me?
Hibernater
Random post
Baking with Nancy
sick


THE DESIRES
My sister to get a boyfriend
New school bag
Have A&W curly fries and root beer
Donate blood
New pair of pumps
An overseas trip soon
The tales of Beedle the Bard
To push myself into First class honours
Jog regularly
Lose 2 kilos!
Mend the emptiness in my bank account
Golden flats from COTTON ON
More tops!
dresses
light grey denim skinny
Nice comfortable heels
Trim my hair
Belt
Handbag/slingbag for going out
Try charcoal mask
Printer


BREAK THE SILENCE



JUKEBOX


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com

THE CUTSEY
adopt your own virtual pet!


REMINISCENCE


BLOG STATS



Thursday, August 28, 2008
Handwashing is important @ 12:45 AM

Ever wonder about whether handwashing really helps to get rid of microorganisms, i.e. bacteria? Of course, with our naked eye, we do not see anything but obvious grease and dirt (if there is). Too bad we do not have microscopic eye, but at the same time, if we do have, imagine how creepy the world will look like. EVERY single surface you see, is covered with millions and billions of microorganisms, probably of every shape, size, texture, with/without flagella, etc. The mass of all the microorganisms in the world exceeds the mass of all plants, animals and humans added together! Amazing??

Anyway, back to the topic. During one of my lab sessions, we scrap a small portion of our palm (before and after washing) with innoculating loop and smear it on a BHI agar plate. For those who don't know, BHI allows most microorganisms to grow on it and form colonies. And this is the result I get:



See?! Before washing, there are so many microorganisms....... different kinds some more. *shudders* and let me tell you, mine is not the worst. The guy beside me had his plate full of different colonies!!!! ewwww. even AFTER washing. I must mind not to get anywhere near him, haha. And for those who don't know, the black dots are not bacteria! Those are marker ink, cos I'm counting the no. of colonies and didn't want to lose track.

After washing, no microorganisms! =))

However, this is of course an unfair experiment cos I use a kind of lab soap which specifically kills bacteria, not like those normal handsoap.

But I still wanna marvel about how much the soap actually works!

So next time if I ever want to hold anyone's hands, I'll make sure he/she washes his/her hands first. lol.

Lab is interesting! though lab reports are not. yawnsss. nites all =)




©copyrighted 2008 punch-that-goblin.co.nr