webmistress journal affiliates credits
THE WEBMISTRESS
I Support Privacy Protection

This is Michelle from NTU, who has a blur queen personality and a love for biology.
Currently studying at the School of Biological Sciences.
I have my birthday celebration on 16 June every year.
Loves singing, reading, baking and eating.
Basically your good old plain Jane! :))


recent entries
blood group
Red and Pink
I can't believe it~
the young vs the old
how violent kids can be
NTU - biological sciences
super mom
terrible day. caught an unknown virus which cause ...
turning stupid.
forget!


THE DESIRES
My sister to get a boyfriend
New school bag
Have A&W curly fries and root beer
Donate blood
New pair of pumps
An overseas trip soon
The tales of Beedle the Bard
To push myself into First class honours
Jog regularly
Lose 2 kilos!
Mend the emptiness in my bank account
Golden flats from COTTON ON
More tops!
dresses
light grey denim skinny
Nice comfortable heels
Trim my hair
Belt
Handbag/slingbag for going out
Try charcoal mask
Printer


BREAK THE SILENCE



JUKEBOX


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com

THE CUTSEY
adopt your own virtual pet!


REMINISCENCE


BLOG STATS



Wednesday, July 04, 2007
money earned with blood and sweat @ 12:48 PM

I hereby salute all the waitresses/waiters around the world (especially those working in banquets)! Being young and ignorant, I didn't know what people meant by "xue han qian", which simply means money earned with blood and sweat. Well, these two days has certainly been an eye-opener for me. Took up a job as a part-time banquet waitress since I have time to spare and also love some extra income. It is tough, man. Pardon me for whining.

Not only was the pay lousy, the job was lousy as well. HOURS before the banquet, have to lay the tables, clean the utensils etc. hundred plus plus tables is simply no joke man. I think the number of goblets, spoons, knives and forks I've cleaned during these two days is more than the stuff I've cleaned in my entire lifetime. It really requires lots and lots of stamina, cos there is no water breaks, toilet breaks, and you gotta stand throughout, not mentioning the frequent unreasonable scoldings from the captains and fellow colleagues, who are mostly bad-tempered aunties.

Then there was this banquet itself. Each person has to take care of four tables, and it's equivalent to like 40 people? You gotta lay the napkin for them, refill their goblets with water, pull the chairs out for them, and also clear the dinner plates, dessert plates, cups, etc. The weight of the plates is ................. REALLY heavy. One of them is heavy enough, being made of porcelain and all, and to think I carried a large stack of them, with soup bowls, saucers, cups on them. Almost broke the whole stack of them cos my arms finally gave way due to the weight. Luckily the chef was kind enough to help me with it. I've always pride myself on my inclined pull-ups, as I never failed to get an A, so I was lulled into a false sense of security thinking that my arm strength is good enough.

AFTER the banquet, it's the waitressses' job to clear everything as well. Including the water pitchers, goblets, plates..... How naive it was of me to think that it's the job of the cleaners. After clearing everything up, have to go back to wiping goblets, dinner plates and cutlery. I KNOW~ sian right?? If my IQ was 100 before the job, I think it has already dropped to 50 by now. Following on was the preparation of the next banquet, before the waitresses for the next shift come in. Which was pretty much the same tedious job of laying the table, folding the napkins, putting the utensils in the right places, and cleaning whatever you can get your hands on.

At the end of the day, my wrists are aching because I keep refilling water for the people with the heavy metal pitcher and not mentioning the cleaning up; my arms are suffering from the heavy weight plates and stuff; and my feet is protesting because I stood all day long on high heel shoes.

It's seriously a sad week for me.

On a lighter note, I'm going for my first tuition job later on! And guess what? My student is a little girl studying in kindergarden. Omgggggg. Does this kid really need tuition? Or is this just the behaviour of a typical kiasu singaporean mother who wants to pull her kid into the important-but-meaningless frenzy paper chase?



©copyrighted 2008 punch-that-goblin.co.nr