webmistress journal affiliates credits
THE WEBMISTRESS
I Support Privacy Protection

This is Michelle from NTU, who has a blur queen personality and a love for biology.
Currently studying at the School of Biological Sciences.
I have my birthday celebration on 16 June every year.
Loves singing, reading, baking and eating.
Basically your good old plain Jane! :))


recent entries
New song again
Results
Part of your world
All I want for xmas is you
Botanic gardens
Beijing trip
Overseas
Helix piercing
The moon is made of green cheese
My poor ring finger


THE DESIRES
My sister to get a boyfriend
New school bag
Have A&W curly fries and root beer
Donate blood
New pair of pumps
An overseas trip soon
The tales of Beedle the Bard
To push myself into First class honours
Jog regularly
Lose 2 kilos!
Mend the emptiness in my bank account
Golden flats from COTTON ON
More tops!
dresses
light grey denim skinny
Nice comfortable heels
Trim my hair
Belt
Handbag/slingbag for going out
Try charcoal mask
Printer


BREAK THE SILENCE



JUKEBOX


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com

THE CUTSEY
adopt your own virtual pet!


REMINISCENCE


BLOG STATS



Thursday, January 08, 2009
Science @ 10:55 PM

Science is interesting -seriously, the layman cannot imagine how much knowledge Scientists have to do harm to you, all the time, AVOIDING detection. Just a tiny drop of what's-not, and you are dead in 3 mins, 3 days, 3 months or 3 years, all according to the Scientist's preference. Read a series of medical thrillers by Robin cook during my holidays, and most of the books managed to send a chill down my spine.

Yes, I do agree that Science is not everything, and a lot of things remain to be a mystery, but at the same time, you couldn't ignore all the things that man indeed know. The knowledge they have gained, however little, is enough to change mankind forever. Though the thrillers are fiction, but I believe some books are written on the basis of facts, or at least, an intelligent guess of the near future. One of those thrillers which particularly scare me is COMA. This book talks about how patients undergo minor surgery, and never woke up again. They remain in a comatose state, got sent to an institute for Coma patients (which is a partner-in-crime of the whole organisation), and had their organs removed for sale. All this stems from the demand of sold organs. Of course, the whole organisation is a collaboration between the evil hospital and the institute. However, I shudder to think of how they can murder anyone just for their organs. This is the problem which may aggravate if sold organis are permitted worldwide. Just think about it. Anyway, it's a good read, lots of conspiracy and breath taking moments, so I recommend this book for people who just wanna have something easy and interesting to read for a change.


My long essay on Science aside, the following will be about the nitty gritties of my experience with Science. Be warned - it is highly crap.


First of all - I watched a dissection of a live mice today! I know lots of poly students in this field has done it before, but nevertheless it's the first time for me. It's a bit gross, but I still manged a $3 lunch after the lab session. I think that's mainly before for that particular prac, I spent a total of FOUR freaking hours in the lab.
Some observations I made during the demostration: The mouse will defecate before you dissect it, and I feel a bit sorry for it because of that. I mean, have a heart, how will YOU feel if somebody is going to cut you up?? Besides that, the mouse is stuck to the board which it lay, using optical pins. How will you feel with pins going through ur hands and feet?
The dissection itself is pretty uneventful once the mouse is dead. Just use a forceps and scissors to get the job done. Of course you gotta be quite skilful if you don't want the blood to spill.
Second - I realise that if you like doing research, you got to like pipetting, centridging, vortexing, incubating a lot. The cycle will be repeated like 1000 times per day if you are working on a full scale basis. A fellow lab mate, kai hwan even said that next time HE can boast to his child after a day's work on the 1000 pipetting he did on that day! honestly -.-
Lastly, I present to you, a doll made of a single pair of latex gloves (courtesy of Kai jie), which we commonly use in the lab.
Cute of eerie? you decide.
It's bidding you good night! hahaha.




©copyrighted 2008 punch-that-goblin.co.nr